[mythtv-users] VGA -> LCD or DVI->Convertor->HDMI?

Tom Greer trgreer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 04:58:42 UTC 2007

bill at explosivo wrote:

> * My LCD will have a VGA connection and HDMI connectors. I can
> connect to the TV three ways - which is best.
>
> 1) Normal cable coax connection (the 350's were pretty bad when it came
> to OSD, and I'd like to have mythgame working also).
>
> 2) Record on the capture cards, but play back over a video card to
> the VGA connection
>
> 3) Record on the capture cards, but play back over a video card to
> the HDMI from a DVI card through a convertor.

Your best and simplest option is 3.  The DVI and HDMI are both digital
adapters using the same signals.  A simple adapter like this is what I use:
http://www.dcables.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=577

The cost is very low.  There is no conversion of the signal involved.  And
you are getting a digital high definition signal to the LCD.

Tom