[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Jan 11 16:26:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 08:14:44AM -0800, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Mark J. Small wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 11 January 2007 11:05, Jake Thompson wrote:
[deletia]
> I would love a new kid-friendly theme. My 9 year old can navigate the
> system, but she would much rather just be presented with programs
> that she wants to watch in her recording group (her most common task)
> with the option of viewing her videos in MythVideo and her music
> playlists. She has no interest in archiving to DVD, scheduling
> programs, getting System Info, etc.
>
> MythTV would do well with user logins. Since it already stores
> multiple front-end preferences, it isn't a far stretch to store
> multiple user preferences per front-end. MythWelcome could
> authenticate you and launch the theme associated with the user
> complete with limited menus and all.

	You could also have some jump point defined to send you
back to the login screen. The users don't necessarily even have
to be authenticated. The key is to identify the user moreso than
to create an authorization scheme.

	It could even be a sort option in the recordings list
menu. Users could be defined and associated with programs and
program groups even without having user accounts as such.

	It could just be another attribute of the program.

	Other attributes like genre could also be associated
with particular "people". That way all of the childrens stuff
gets associated with "Kids" and all of the comedies get associated
with "Mom" and all Sci-Fi gets associated with "Dad".

> Unfortunately, I don't know many developers with young children AND
> that much time for such an implementation. :)

	Design ideas can be discussed even by those that don't have
any ability to implement. Good solid requirements are not a bad thing. '-)