[mythtv-users] Trouble moving backend database to new hardware

Matt Rude mythtv at mattrude.com
Thu Jan 11 21:14:05 UTC 2007

ryan patterson wrote:

> [...]
>      > versions of mythtv between old/new installs.  But I'm not sure
>     which is
>      > older and which is newer.  My old setup was running knoppmyth
>     which is a
>      > distribution based on debian that automatically sets up
>     mythtv.  I think
>      > I was running .20-fixes  It is possible that the mythtv version
>     in the
>      > Edgy repository is actually older.  This might be a deal
>     breaker.  I'll
>      > experiment some more too see if I can get it to work.
>      >
>      > On 1/11/07, *Adrian* <642040 at gmail.com <mailto:642040 at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:642040 at gmail.com <mailto:642040 at gmail.com> >> wrote:
>      >
>      >     On 1/11/07, ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com
>     <mailto:ryan.goat at gmail.com>
>      >     <mailto: ryan.goat at gmail.com <mailto:ryan.goat at gmail.com>>>
>     wrote:
>      >      > I am trying to upgrade my mythtv setup.  I am moving from a
>      >     debian install
>      >      > to a ubuntu install.
>      >
>      >     I am just about to do the same, so I was reading this thread
>      >     carefully...
>      >
>      >     Could the problem be that you are migrating from an older
>     version of
>      >     Myth to a newer version?  If that is the case, the database
>     structure
>      >     is likely different.  I think that the instructions that you
>     were
>      >     following assume that you are migrating from and to the same
>      >     version...
>      >
>      >     Sorry, I am not sure of the best way to recover?
>      >
>      >     Adrian
>
>     I beleave you are trying to downgrade from a database that (at lease
>     for
>     a time) was running the SVN trunk or the bleeding version of mythtv. you
>       database error talks about storage groups witch is only on the trunk
>     (devilment) version at this time (not 0.20). so if your trying to
>     install mythtv 0.20 on your new setup I would suggest you only restore
>     the tables that you need to restore and no others (but 1st backup and
>     wipe your *new* database before you try to restore)
>
>     -Matt
>

> Matt, could you tell me how to restore only some tables?  I am only
> interested in preserving the list of already viewed shows.  I can
> manually reenter the recording profiles and all other settings.  I don't
> know mysql or the mythconverge database.  The instructions I originally
> followed say to grep the following items out of the database dump:
> record, recorded, oldrecorded, recordedprogram, recordedrating, &
> recordedmarkup.  I assume that I only want some of those.  but I have no

I am not an mysql expert.
The E-Zest way i know of is via phpMyAdmin (a web based Mysql Frontend)
this is the only way I work with mysql.

If you still have your old database on your old system up and running
you can just backup the tables that you wont, then restore them to your
new database.

mysqldump --add-drop-table -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverge [Table Name]
 > /DIR/FILE.SQL

The "--add-drop-table" command will drop the table before restoring it.

just looking on the web i found:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/restore-table.html
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/MySQL/Backing-up-and-restoring-your-MySQL-Database/

Hope this helps