[mythtv-users] HDMI capture device

Mitchell Gore mitchell2345 at msn.com
Thu Jan 11 21:20:50 UTC 2007

> From: jakep_82 at hotmail.com
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:49:13 -0800
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HDMI capture device
>
> >From: "Tom Greer" <trgreer at gmail.com>
> >jakep_82 at hotmail wrote:
> >>What makes you think HDMI isn't HDCP? Firewire is almost always encrypted
> >>for everything but broadcast channels (I've verified using the firewire
> >>input on my TV). I can't imagine HDMI isn't. You'll get no more channels
> >>with this than with the HDHR.
> >
> >First off, HDCP is copy protection (DRM) that prevents unauthorized devices
> >from receiving output via HDMI.
> >

> I understand that.  I was using firewire as an example.  Different
> principals, same result.
>
> So this card isn't HDCP compliant yet you're going to somehow record HDCP
> protected content?  Good luck.

Your "protected contend" is using QAM encrypted.  So what our STB do is decrypt the signal (removing QAM) then pass the video via analog component cables or even better a digital DVI or HDMI connection.  Over that line the video will not be encrypted because there are many TV's there that are not HDCP capable.  So we can put any device between there and record.  Just like we do when recording analog video over RCA composite cables.  The advantage of a HDMI recorder is the video never is converted to analog so the picture will be just as good.

Hope this makes sense.

Mitchell