[mythtv-users] Senator seeks kill FCC's broadcast flag authority

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 22:11:33 UTC 2007

Arstechnica is running a story on how US Sen John Sununu (R-NH) is
preparing legislation that would rein in the FCC, specifically
preventing them from imposing technology mandates on electronics
manufacturers.

In plainer terms, this would prevent the FCC from implementing the
broadcast flag without full Cogressional approval. It would also
enshrine in Federal law the Appellate court ruling from last Spring
that said that the FCC has no authority to mandate requirements on
manufacturers.

FTFA:

"The FCC seems to be under the belief that it should occasionally
impose technology mandates," Sununu said in a statement. "These
misguided requirements distort the marketplace by forcing industry to
adopt agency-blessed solutions rather than allow innovative and
competitive approaches to develop. We have seen this happen with the
proposed video flag, and interest groups are pushing for an audio flag
mandate as well. Whether well-intentioned or not, the FCC has no
business interfering in private industry to satisfy select special
interests or to impose its own views."

Full text:

It appears we have a friend in the Senate.