[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial - [OT offering]

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 23:13:16 UTC 2007

> On Jan 11, 2007, at 3:23 PM, Andy Scott wrote:
> > Now I am 100% with Brian on this, but it leads me to wonder what the
> > business proposition will be for TV companies.  TV ad revenues must be
> > shrinking (due to proliferation of channels diluting their reach, as
> > well as the dedicated bunch of MythTV users) - so I'd guess that the
> > costs may be recovered by ever higher subscription costs.  And
> > we're to
> > blame for it (yes, I'm sorta joking).

My guess is purely subscription funded TV initially and probably
pay-per-view (probably on demand, e.g. downloads) in the long term. Somebody
will probably try more intrusive ads such a banners, but I don't think the
public will accept it. Free to air, advertising-funded networks will have to
find a new business model or go broke.

As long as Myth remains a "hobbyist" application I don't think the
> advertisers will perceive us as much of a threat as far as commercial
> skipping.

The writing is on the wall. If it's not MythTV it'll be something else. E.g.
LG have released TVs in Australia with inbuild HDDs that support 30 second
skip (50PB2DR, 42LC2DR). Incidentally Australian TV networks refused to air
commercials touting that feature.

If it were to go commercial in a big way that would be a different
> story, look what happened with ReplayTV.

Naturally broadcasters will try to protect the status quo in the face of
change, but in the end they'll lose. It's inevitable.

That's one of the reasons I get nervous when outfits try and sell
> commercial Myth systems. I'm afraid the advertising community would
> put pressure on Tribune to stop making things easier for us.

That may well happen, and if it does then MythTV community will adapt. Don't
forget that those of us that don't live in North America are already in that
situation.

Steve