[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jan 12 00:38:39 UTC 2007

Dewey Smolka wrote:
> I use Blank Frame Detection in the US, which flags commercials with
> around 90-95 percent acuracy. For things like sports the accuracy is
> close to 100 percent, while for films with a lot of dark scenes, the
> accuracy falls to around 85 percent. I haven't really experimented
> with other detection methods which are probably better suited to
> films.

I was initially using Blank Frame Detection.  It was very fast, but I
found the accuracy unacceptably bad.  Part of this is because I do watch
a lot of shows with fade-to-black transitions.  ("Intervention" on A&E
is a good example of a show where Blank Frame Detection fails miserably.)

I switched to using "All Methods" and I've been much happier.  It's
slower, though.  On my VIA M10000 system it runs barely faster than
realtime, around 36 fps.  I still rarely have more than a few shows in
the job queue, though, so for my purposes it's fast enough.  (The
exception is if someone accidentally leaves the frontend on the "Watch
Recordings" screen.  That little preview window consumes a surprising
amount of CPU, leaving little for background jobs.)