[mythtv-users] Senator seeks kill FCC's broadcast flag authority

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Fri Jan 12 00:42:10 UTC 2007

Dewey Smolka wrote:
> Arstechnica is running a story on how US Sen John Sununu (R-NH) is
> preparing legislation that would rein in the FCC, specifically
> preventing them from imposing technology mandates on electronics
> manufacturers.

Hmm.  While I certainly would like to see Broadcast Flag go away, this
might throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Without FCC mandates,
broadcasters would have never standardized on NTSC, for example.
Cable-ready TVs and VCRs that work on all analog cable systems and
standardized HDTV broadcasts are other examples of stuff we have because
of FCC  mandates.