[mythtv-users] Capture cards

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Jan 12 15:54:44 UTC 2007

I was asked by a neighbor to help finalize a setup for his son's
computer before he went back to college.  When I got over there, one of
the things on his list of "I can't get this to work" was the video
capture card.  Apparently, he wanted to set up the machine as a dual
purpose school computer/television and the card he bought wasn't
functioning.

Being Windows (ugh), I checked and quickly got the card functioning
properly, but, as I was doing that, I looked at the card
specifications.  Apparently, the card records in either MPEG-2 or
MPEG-4, all via hardware.

I thought the reception was horrible, but apparently my neighbor is
having problems with their cable, so all of their TV's have horrible
analog cable reception.  Anyhow, this card was a "Powercolor Real Angel
330" that his son picked up for ~$40.

It *seems* like it would be a great alternative to the Hauppauge card
which, as we all know, does hardware MPEG-2 encoding.  Does anyone have
any experience with this card?  If so, any news as to the quality of the
card and the compatibility of it with MythTV?

-Rich