[mythtv-users] Serial Hauppauge Remote: mode2 "OK", irw, says "connect: Connection refused"

Larry Jones larry at foxgulch.com
Fri Jan 12 19:35:01 UTC 2007

> Nick Morrott wrote:

> If you run
> # /sbin/service lircd status
> is the lircd subsystem locked

No,   lircd is shown as running normally.

> Finally, make sure you have a (good) /etc/lircd.conf file. mode2 works
> indicating the hardware is working, so I would guess it's a lircd
> configuration thing.      Nick
Right on the money, Nick!   I had blindly copied the file
lircd.conf.hauppauge over to
/etc/lircd.conf.   It contained definitions for several remotes.   Then
I read this

   1. From:   http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=Hauppauge250Remote
   2. If the remote still does not work...
   3. Hauppauge distributes three different remotes with the PVR250/350
      - black, grey and silver. Each requires a different
      /etc/lircd.conf file. If you've followed the above instructions
      and still have no luck, you likely have the wrong /etc/lircd.conf
      for your particular flavor of Hauppauge remote. Let's get the
      correct one
   4. For example, if you have a silver remote (verified by the marking
      A415-HPG on the barcode label in the battery compartment) do the
      following:
   5. http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=Hauppauge250Remote
   6. 1) Download the Hauppauge file from sourceforge:
   7. $ wget
      http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge
   8. 2) Edit lircd.conf.hauppauge and delete all the lines except for
      the section relating to the A415-HPG. If you have one of the other
      remotes, identify the section which corresponds to the buttons on
      your particular remote, and use that section instead.
   9. 3) Save the original /etc/lircd.conf in case you need to refer
      back to it:
  10. $ mv /etc/lircd.conf /etc/lircd.conf.orig
  11. 4) Copy the edited lircd.conf.hauppauge file to /etc/lircd.conf:
  12. $ cp lircd.conf.hauppauge /etc/lircd.conf
  13. 5 ) Tweak /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc:
  14. Since the silver remote has a substantially different button
      layout than the grey one, you'll probably want to tweak your
      /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc file to your liking. You can use the
      one in this thread as a starting point
  15. Now reboot and enjoy!

Since the remote I have was the same model,  I deleted all the other
extra hauppauge remote definitions in the file,
leaving the silver with black under belly def for my A415-HPG,
rebooted.  I then, not sure why this was necessary, issued  a
/sbin/service lircd restart
and found that irw was operating.   My silver on black underbelly
hauppauge (came with Wintv PVR USB2 which I never did get working!) is
now functional in mythtv.

Many thanks Nick.

Larry