[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Jeff Breadner jeff at breadner.ca
Fri Jan 12 20:22:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 13:10 -0700, Brian Wood wrote:

> Everything you say is true, but the fact is that it is a great price
> even if it were simply a Blu-Ray player.
>
> A "Mid-Range Mac" and a Blu-Ray player together would cost a *lot*
> more than the PS3.
>
> Plus you get to play with Linux on it, no extra cost :-)
>
> Talk about the PS3's "problems" all you want, it's still one of the
> best hardware deals out there.

Absolutely; please don't get me wrong, there's no way I'd trade mine in,
I'd probably even have paid more for it than I did, even knowing what I
do now.

It's just that people who are expecting to unpack their new PS3 and
install Linux on a supercomputer are going to be disappointed, at least
until a lot more work goes into the entire OS to unlock the potential of
the Cell processor.  I too had visions of having multiple transcode and
commercial detection threads running on my PS3 to take the load off the
backend, but I think it's good to set the record straight that this is
an unrealistic expectation for now.

cheers
  Jeff