[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Jan 12 20:55:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:16:15AM -0800, Blammo wrote:
> On 1/11/07, Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com> wrote:
> > My girls ( 1 x 6 year old and 3 x 4 year olds) have no idea that shows
> > come one at certain times of day, or that there are these things called
> > "channels" on TV....
>
> Couple of funny stories to add..
>
> 1. We're on vacation, and we walk into our hotel, on the first day,
> and my daughter (3-y/o) says "Daddy, I want to watch Sesame Street
> please". My wife and I both chucked, then tried to explain how, on
> other people's TV's, things only come on at a certain time, and we'd
> have to wait until tommorrow, at 10am, to watch Sesame street.
>
> 2. I've gone through some stabiltiy/tuning issues in the past with our
> primary frontend, so my daughter is familar with the concept of
> "fixing the frontend." "Daddy! The frontend crashed again! please
> fixme"

	I saw in one of the lirc examples a configuration for the
remote power button to be a myth user "kill switch". This works
quite nicely as a quick restart mechanism if you've got the myth
user being auto-logged-in by init.

	Just setup comprehensive restart logic in .bash_profile
and .xinitrc.

[deletia]

	Every once and awhile Myth would lose the ability to change
the PCM or the master volume level. I had been logging into the
frontend from another machine to run aumix to fix the problem but
now I just hit the power button and "restart everything".

   	It's pretty quick actually.