[mythtv-users] mythtv on the ps3

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 12 21:00:02 UTC 2007

On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Phill Wiggin wrote:

>> <snip>
>>
>> Everything you say is true, but the fact is that it is a great price
>> even if it were simply a Blu-Ray player.
>>
>> A "Mid-Range Mac" and a Blu-Ray player together would cost a *lot*
>> more than the PS3.
>>
>> Plus you get to play with Linux on it, no extra cost :-)
>>
>> Talk about the PS3's "problems" all you want, it's still one of the
>> best hardware deals out there.
>
> I completely agree with you on the $/feature ratio.  But, that's only
> the case if BlueRay wins the HD wars.  And from the news on the wire
> (TechDirt, etc), Sony flatly refuses to have porn on "their" media
> (And apparently, the feeling's mutual. porn prefers HD-DVD).  They had
> the same stance w/ betamax....  Love it or hate it, pron drives
> industries.
>
> http://techdirt.com/articles/20070112/060104.shtml

I don't think the manufacturers are going to sit still for another
round of "format wars". Just like the DVD-R/DVD+R battle, it will be
solved by drives that can simply do both.

I know there are "reasons" this is "impossible" but I'm telling you
it will happen. It was once considered "impossible" to have a -R/+R
drive, and never forget the "scientist" who "proved" it was
impossible to visit the moon.

There are already disks that have Blu-Ray on one side and HD-DVD on
the other, Hollywood will simply not be held hostage by the hardware
manufacturers, even Sony who is a content owner as well as a
manufacturer.

Just another example of Sony's arrogance, but they will lose in the end.

> My personal feelings are against Blu-Ray not because of what I've
> written above, but because Sony's pushing it.  They've gotten a fair
> amount of bad PR as well as stacks of obsolete/unused formats in their
> history.  If they _do_ lose the 'format wars' the PS3 will be a
> Betamax that plays really nice looking games.

I agree with your sentiment about Sony, but in the worst case the PS3
will be a "Mid-Range Mac" at a lower price, and I guess I can always
sell it to my 20-year-old nephew :-)