[mythtv-users] mythtv and a central wiring closet

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Sat Jan 13 03:15:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:07:47PM -0500, Chris Ribe wrote:
> The optimal arrangement is to put a frontend machine near each monitor and
> send the video out from the central location over the network.  Without a
> frontend machine, you can send your video over distance by terminating your
> RG-6 coax with RCA connectors and sending a composite video signal, or for a
> truly  crappy viewing expoerience, you could get an RF modulator to feed
> your video signal into.

Having two machines is fine.  I had not thought of that at all.  A bit
more than I was planning for in terms of hardware but I'll survive. :o)

> The question you really need to be asking yourself, though , is how am I
> going to remotely control the frontend running the central closet?

I'm probably being naive but what's wrong with IR?  Why do I need to be
able to physically see or be physically near the box to control it?
However, with a two box setup this point seems moot.

Thanks for the help folks.

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car