[mythtv-users] Daddy, what's a commercial

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Jan 13 06:24:14 UTC 2007

* On Fri Jan 12, 2007 at 03:35:27PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> > Another method of commercial detection I'd noticed might work (and
> > I'm sure someone's thought of) is looking for changes in the
> > video's resolution or aspect ratio.  In most broadcasts, that

> True in some cases, not others. Live sporting events in 1080i often
> have HD commercials.
>
> But it is another factor to take into consideration.

And it already has been.  The existing flagger checks for physical
aspect ratio changes in the video as some broadcasters (non-U.S.)
use as well as pillarboxing/letterboxing such as a 4:3 commercial
embedded in a 16:9 stream or vice-versa.  Until the digital switch
is 100% over in the U.S., this is pretty effective at detecting
commercials.  Once the switch has been completed, I expect we'll
see a big increase in 16:9 commercials and detection accuracy
will go down a bit and we'll have to work on other detection
methods more.

--
Chris