[mythtv-users] mythcommflag when completely idle only?

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 18:20:03 UTC 2007

Hello,

   I recently setup a slave backend with three HD Hauppauge HVR 950
USB tuners.  All is working well.  The master backend has 4 PVR 250's.
 I'm keeping Hauppauge in business, along with the rest of this list I
guess.

  Anyway, I am able to record 7 programs and watch an HD recording on
a separate front end simultaneously.  However, if the slave is
commflagging a recording, any playback on my frontend is not smooth,
even SD.  I only have a 100MB ethernet connection on the master
backend and have a feeling that the commflagging on the remote slave
is saturating the network.

   At this point I've set the slave to not transcode or commflag to
avoid any issues.  Ideally I'd like to setup the slave to commflag or
transcode if there are not recording or playback operations in place
as the slave is a fast PC.  Is this an option somewhere?

   If not I was thinking about writing a script that would run every minute.

1. Check the backend for any recordings in progress.
2. Check the frontend for any playbacks in progress.
If either are true, run a 'killall -SIGSTOP mythcommflag'
If both are false, run a 'killall -SIGCONT mythcommflag'

This would basically pause any commflags in progress while something
else is going on.  Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks,
Billy

myth-20-fixes
FC6 on slave backend, FC4 on frontend, FC1 on master backend

Someday I may put the HD tuners on the master, but I don't have USB2
there, and I'm out of PCI slots, and I didn't want to mess up the
master on accident during my HD testing.  Oh, and I don't have an OTA
antenna feed to the area where the master is.