[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing Methods

Wim Fokkens wimfokkens at planet.nl
Sun Jan 14 20:44:26 UTC 2007

Hi Daniel

> You will never get a perfect picture with a progressive display..

I have to disagree with that. I am currently using MyTheater www.dvbcore.com
running windows and using the powerDVD 5 codec. My PC has a Radeon 9550
connected to a Panasonic TH-37PV60 the radeon is set at 1280x720p50.
And the picture quality is absolutely perfect and easily beats the picture
quality of my STB connected with RGB scart. I think the main reason for this
easy win is the fact that my radeon card can do very good deinterlacing in
hardware. And PowerDVD codec makes good use of this.

I also have a MythTV pc with the following specs:
Asus P4P800 Intel P4 2,4Ghz 1Gb ram and Geforce 6200 128mb agp.
I am using MythDora 3.2 and I am trying very hard to get the same picture
quality as my MyTheater system. But I don't even come close.
A can get to the same level as James Buckley did.
I also tried XVMC but judging from the picture it is only doing Hardware
Motion Compensation but no hardware deinterlacing.
Why is this? Is there no support for hardware deinterlacing in the Nvidia
driver?

Wim