[mythtv-users] How to switch input on a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500

Henry S. Greenside hsg at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 15 05:33:19 UTC 2007

Couldn't find this in the archives: I am setting up a
MythTV with a Hauppauge PVR-500 dual-tuner card. I
would like to connect my old VCR to the PVR-500 card
via svideo so that I can play video tapes and save them
in a format that I could then write to a DVD. But how
do I configure mythtv to tell the Hauppauge card to use
its svideo input instead of its TV input?

I understand from browsing the archives that one way to
achieve this is to connect my TV cable to the VCR, then
the VCR TV-out to the TV-in of the Hauppauge card. I
can then record videos by simply switching to channel 4
on the Hauppauge card. But if it is possible, I would
prefer to just run the VCR as svideo in and connect the
TV cable directly to the Hauppauge card.

Note: one reason for this is I am trying to configure a
universal remote (a Sony RM-VL600) to control mythtv, a
DVD player, and my audio amplifier and so would use the
unused commands of the VCR controller to control
mythtv. For example, since I won't be using the VCR to
select TV stations and times for saving to a videotape,
commands like start+, start-, stop+, stop-, date+,
date- on the VCR controller become available to assign
to mythtv control signals.

    Thanks,

    Henry