[mythtv-users] How to switch input on a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500

Mark Oliver mark_oliver at java2000.com
Mon Jan 15 06:45:18 UTC 2007

Henry S. Greenside wrote:
> But if it is possible, I would
> prefer to just run the VCR as svideo in and connect the
> TV cable directly to the Hauppauge card.

I did this awhile back with a pvr-250.  In mythtvsetup, I created two
video sources (vcr, cable), which I then entered under Input connections
for svideo (vcr) and tuner (cable) on the same card.  I forgot how I
differentiated the priority so that I could record from each (but not
simultaneously, obviously) without much trouble.

With the pvr-500, you should have more options available (since it
effectively contains 2 cards), such as setting (drawing from my example)
cable on both tuners and vcr on 1 of the svideo or possibly setting
cable on one tuner and vcr on the other svideo.  As I understand it, you
will not be able to simultaneously use the tuner and the svideo on one
of the cards, but you should be able to simultaneously use the tuner
from one card and the svideo from the other.

If I am not mistaken, 'Y' switches between cards and 'C' switches
between inputs on a card.  But it has been a long while since I used the
vcr on my mythtv system.  You may want to look at the keyboard shortcuts
on the mythtv site to verify that.

I hope this contains at least some of the info you were looking for.

mark