[mythtv-users] OT: Need a new HDTV

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Mon Jan 15 13:01:18 UTC 2007

Dewey Smolka wrote:

>On 1/14/07, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone got any good links to research on HDTV's or a recommendation
>>for some?  I don't have a good handle on this sort of thing yet.
>>My current SDTV is dying and I'd like to get a nice replacement that
>>works well with Myth.
>>

>First suggestion: think about your requirements and what you're willing to pay.

For example, how are you planning to feed your new TV? There are

>'HD-ready' displays (meaning that the display is capable of showing an
>HD signal given to it), or devices with HD tuners built into them. If
>you have an external tunig source (like a cable box or an HD-cabable
>Myth machine) than you'll save some cash by getting an HD-capable
>device and not having to pay for the tuner which you won't be using.

It would be nice to have a HD tuner so myth isn't required for viewing.
Occasionally the wife uses the normal tuner.
or for when myth goes down.  We have OTA HD around here.  Quite a bit in
fact.

>Second: How do you run your sound? If your sound is handled by the TV
>then you'll want something with an integrated amplifier and speakers,
>if not then you can save some cash by picking a model that doesn't
>include speakers or amplifier.

Sound is currently off the TV.

>You can find all kinds of advice on the relative merits of LCD vs
>Plasma vs Projector elsewhere. In short it comes down to this: LCDs
>are great until you get to displays larger than 40 inches or so;
>Plasmas cost out the ass, handle contrast marginally better than LCDs,
>and are best in formats greater than 40 inches; and projectors which
>offer a low cost for the massive picture size, but have the
>disadvantage of bulbs that need to be replaced at not inconsiderable
>expense.

My budget definitely steers me to LCD.  I don't have room for a large
one, and I don't want plasma
due to burn in issues.  My family tends to leave the tv on when not
around, in spite of my ranting about
turning it off when not being used, they still do it.  So I have a main
myth screen on the tube constantly.

>The best advice I can give you is to look for displays first from
>computer retailers like Microcenter. SInce HD displays are much more
>akin to computer displays than traditional TVs, you'll get a much
>better deal, or at least a better selection through an IT vendor than
>through 'Vinnie's Discount TVs'.

We have a microcenter around, but it's about a 100 mile drive.  I just
got a flyer from them,
and they are having a huge sale on hdtv's, but they look to be off
brand, how are those for
quality?

>Look for flexibility in inputs -- look for something that supports a
>variety of HD inputs including VGA and DVI as well as HDMI and
>component. Look for systems that don't have integrated tuners if you
>are using a Myth machine or other external device for your signal --
>the tuner can add $100 or more to the cost of the display, and that is
>licensing cost that you've already paid to your card manufacturer
>and/or your cable/sat company.

I'd probably really need DVI/hdmi and component in.  The rest is extra.

>Avoid rebates, but look for a vendor that will honor returns and/or
>warrantee repairs. If your new toy breaks down it will likely break
>down quickly. I recommended Microcenter before because I have always
>had good experience returning things with them -- pieces that failed,
>pieces that just didn't work with Linux, and even pieces I bought and
>then realized I couldn't use on my system. In every case they accepted
>my return with little question and gave me either store credit or cash
>refund. I returned an HD display (Syntax Olevia 27") six months after
>purchase because of a bad column and they exchanged it with no
>problem.
>
>Good luck.

I'm finding out this is much tougher than selecting my myth components....