[mythtv-users] Output to monitor and Projector

Mr. Demeanour mrdemeanour at jackpot.uk.net
Mon Jan 15 15:39:38 UTC 2007

Damian Surr wrote:

> Mr. Demeanour wrote:
>> Damian Surr wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> On the system I'm about to build, I want the Kids to be able to
>>> use Ubuntu on the monitor, and then all sit back and watch a film
>>> on a projector. Do I need two outputs on the video card for this?
>>> Or is there a way of daisy-chaining them? Or a switch box or
>>> something?
>>>

>> A KVM switch would "switch" a single video output between two
>> display devices, which prolly isn't what you want. And I'm not
>> aware of any way to multiplex two X sessions over a single
>> display-card output.
>>
>> So you need two display card outputs, which might be on the same
>> card or on distinct cards. If they're on the same card, you need to
>> be sure that the card supports dual independent displays.
>>
> I only need one running at any one time. Both would be nice, but not
> if it causes the slightest of problems (which I strongly assume it
> would)

In that case you could use a KVM switch - these cost about 20 quid (UKP
and USD are somewhere near parity these days, no?:-) But I wouldn't want
to have to do the messing-around with xorg.conf modelines that this
approach might entail.

A dual-headed configuration is quite standard; it would require two
display outputs. They would both be available at the same time (although
you could switch off whichever you didn't want powered-on). You would
need to work out how you want to distribute mice and keyboards between
the two desktops.

--
Jack.