[mythtv-users] First Time Installation

Erik Mouw mouw at nl.linux.org
Mon Jan 15 16:45:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 12:52:47PM +0000, Bart Coninckx wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 12:17:04PM +0000, uxbod wrote:
> >> I am about to embark on building a system, so that I can record Sky and integrate ZoneMinder, but have a couple of questions :-
> >>
> >> 1) I am going to use a Hauppauge PVR-350, but does the 'X' card need
> >> to be a highend one to get good quality images ?
> >
> >PVR 350 does video out and can also run X on its frame buffer, so the
> >quality of the video card you use doesn't matter at all.
>
> I'm told X on the frame buffer of the PVR 350 is a bit slow. Would it
> be advisible to use it then? Wouldn't it be better to use a good
> videocard with s-video out?

Sure, but you can't use the hardware MPEG2 decompression from the
PVR350 in that case. X on PVR350 runs just fine on my PIII/800. No
OpenGL, but the qt painter works.

I'm going to build an extra frontend using a diskless old PII/300 with
a PVR350, I expect that to work just fine as well.

Erik

--
They're all fools. Don't worry. Darwin may be slow, but he'll
eventually get them. -- Matthew Lammers in alt.sysadmin.recovery