[mythtv-users] Need help with meaning of channel table fields

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 22:45:34 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, Bob Sully <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> Jerry:
>
> Would this also be true in my case, where I'm using one tuner card (pcHDTV
> 5500) which has both analog and digital tuners and an s-video input?
>
> I right now have only one lineup, and am having problems getting the
> analog tuner to record....maybe this is the reason?
>
> I also will eventually be using the s-video input for all the encrypted
> channels, once I figure out how to route the audio from my STB through the
> card into my sound card (it has an audio input which doesn't seem to be
> working ATM).
>
> So, I'll need three separate lineups, I assume?  There will be some
> overlap - I have many of the SD channels on the digital side, which look a
> lot cleaner than when I watch them on the analog side.  So, my guess is,
> I'll have to delete the channels in the analog lineup which I prefer to
> record from the QAM tuner....?

Bob,
Yes, if you currently are using both the analog and digital inputs on your
3000 card, you need an analog lineup for the former, and a digital lineup
for the latter.  In my setup, which is somewhat similar to your eventual
setup, I have a second digital lineup that I use for the s-video.  Since my
firewire input (analagous to your 3000 digital input) can only get
unencrypted channels, I didn't want to have any channel overlap with the
s-video input, so I gave them each a different digital channel lineup.

As far as deleting channels, no, you don't need to do that.  When you
configure your input connections in mythtv-setup, you can give them
priorities, and give a higher priority to your QAM input channels.  So
suppose you have an ABC SD in analog and an ABC SD in QAM.  In your channel
guide you'll only see one ABC SD channel.  However when you record from it,
if you set the priorities right, it will always prefer to use the QAM input,
and only record from the analog input if the QAM input is already busy.

-Jerry