[mythtv-users] MythArchive won't write to my DL DVD

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jan 16 00:11:47 UTC 2007

John Pilkington wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>>> :-( /dev/dvd: 4173824 blocks are free, 4391419 to be written!
>>> :-( write failed: No space left on device
>
>> Obviously mytharchive is trying to write too much information to my DVD.
>>  Shouldn't this have been caught during the "Create DVD" setup screens
>> when I selected my videos?
>
> This looks like the problem I had with the DVD iso image being too big.
> I posted around 22 Dec on the user and (later) the dev list.
>
>>> I think the problem arises because mythburn aims to create an image that
>
>> After several trials I got an image that K3b wrote successfully when the
>> initial value of dvdrsize in mythburn.py was changed from 4482 to 4330.
>>
>> K3b reported the size of the written image as 4487 Mb, still apparently
>> 5Mb above threshhold.
>>
>> Mythburn uses a guesstimate (?) of 1.05 for the factor by which
>> multiplexing will increase the size of the video component, so YMMV.

Interesting.  I've not (yet) had a problem with single layer DVDs.

4,700,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 = 4482.27 MB but
8,500,000,000 / 1024 / 1024 = 8106.23 MB

> I'm now using a dvdrsize of 4300 in >
> /usr/share/mythtv/mytharchive/scripts/mythburn.py  (ATrpms fc5)
> and get writable images.
>
>> #Single and dual layer recordable DVD free space in MBytes
>> #dvdrsize=(4482,8964)
>> dvdrsize=(4300,8600)

Which differs from the values being used above for DL DVDs.

Where do these values come from?  Should a DL DVD be twice the size of a
SL DVD?  And if so, then why are the disks labeled as 8.5GB and not
9.4GB????

(Inquiring minds want to know!)

In any event, after cutting out the commercials, the 4 episodes fit fine
with no re-encoding on my DL DVD.  And both DVD players in the house are
playing the MPEG-2 vidoes just fine.

I'm going to try again tomorrow after tonight's next 4 episodes.  B^)

Thanks!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com