[mythtv-users] New house - any advise?

robin robin at robinandmariette.com
Tue Jan 16 03:22:40 UTC 2007

I'm currently in the middle of building a new house. I'm now at the wiring
stage. I plan to have a backend in my utility room with multiple front ends
in different parts of the house.

I would like to have s/pdif or other digital audio out to an amp that has
multiple zones so that I can use mythmusic to keep me entertained throughout
the house.

I was originally thinking of using a single multi-source/multi-zone amp for
the audio off the backend, but that proved to be too expensive to buy and
wire for the number of zones I wanted, and I couldn't figure out how to tie
it all together with myth. I figured multiple front-ends, each with its own
smaller amp would be a cheaper and easier approach. Any comments on this?

I want the main front ends to be diskless and silent (if possible). I was
wondering what is the currently recommended silent system. I've read about
people using eipa boards, is this still the best solution? Has anyone tried
running a front end from a large thumb drive? Or is network boot to a ram
drive still the best way to go?

I guess I'm forging ahead with what I know, and am just looking for a sanity
check to make sure I don't plan for something I'll regret later. It's a
whole lot easier to wire the house when it's still a bunch of plain studs.

On another note, my current setup uses avahi on kubuntu edgy. I've been
entering the avahi host name for the ip address on the myth configuration
(i.e mythtv-master.local), and it's worked until I installed a remote
frontend. The remote front end won't connect unless I actually put the ip
address in. Is this by design or should it be able to use avahi to get the
ip address translation?

-Robin