[mythtv-users] Unicode characters showing up as question marks

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Tue Jan 16 07:14:42 UTC 2007

MythTV Users,

With help from this list, I've just succeeded in downloading the TV
schedule for Japanese broadcast television from ontvjapan.com and
importing it into MythTV.

However, all the Japanese text comes up as question marks.

Looking on the web, I've read that MythTV is supposed to have decent
Unicode support as of version 0.16.

However, I could not find any information regarding whether or not I
need to set any configurations in order to enable the proper use of Unicode.

While I can read and speak Japanese, my native language in English, so
I'd prefer to keep my interface in English if possible. But for things
like the channel guide, there is no English available, so that will have
to display in Japanese.

I have MythTV 0.19, so hopefully it should be capable of displaying
Japanese characters.

I believe I have my locale set properly in my Linux OS (Ubuntu), as I
input and read Japanese all the time in all other programs.

Is there something I need to do to get the Japanese characters to show
up in the channel guide?

Thank you for any advice or information.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS