[mythtv-users] Lost sound again

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Tue Jan 16 10:41:54 UTC 2007

Dave M G schrieb:
> MythTV Users,
>
> I thought I had my sound set up, but it turns out I don't. Or if I did,
> it's gone away again.
>
> Sound works fine if I play a video file, like an AVI.
>
> Sound is not on, though, when I watch TV.
>
> Further, if I press F9 (mute), or F10 (sound down), or F11 (sound up),
> there is no response, not even any indicator on the screen to indicate
> that volume controls are being accessed.
>
> It seems that somehow sound is disabled when in TV mode.
>
> Any idea what may have caused that?
>
> --
> Dave M G
> Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
> Kernel 2.6.17.7
> Pentium D Dual Core Processor
> PHP 5, MySQL 5, Apache 2

Hi Dave,

you said you fixed your former problem by removing your USB sound
adaptor. Maybe now you have rebooted and the setup of your sound system
has changed? I.e., what was /dev/dsp1 now is /dev/dsp?

Before dedicating more time to get myth to work somehow, you should get
your sound setup right; incorporate your USB sound device, make sure
that your different sound devices always show up in the same order, also
after rebooting and plugging in/out your usb sound adaptor (/dev/dsp,
/dev/dsp1...; best is if the internal device is /dev/dsp and the usb
device /dev/dsp1 probably; you control this with your udev setup if it
is not right automatically) and, for example trying with alsamixer, make
sure that you know which device you have to use for TV.

Then, set up mythfrontend (regarding the internal player, for example
with live tv or recordings) and make it work properly.

Then, look at, for example, avi playback. Do you use the internal player
or mplayer or xine? Does sound work? If not, you probably use an
external player. Look at the command for starting mplayer or xine, you
can configure this in the setup of mythfrontend. You can specifiy the
sound device you want to use for the external player with command line
options. Try your external player from a shell; once you know which
command line works for your setup, configure this command line in
mythfrontend.

Have fun,

    Matthias