[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

A JM vbtalent at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:38:46 UTC 2007

Easy, probably wasn't a good word to use when describing a Distro...

I too have used Fedora since my introduction into Linux which has been
short in nature however when something breaks or doesn't go well I
have no idea where to start looking for answers. I mean sure I can
post to the forums, etc. but everything is so foreign it's a steep
learning curve from a Windows machine.

I've re-installed FC6 at least half a dozen times and am back to
square one with more problems... "Failed" messages on boot, etc... My
other box is a FC4 box that's been up for about a year now, well I use
the term 'up' loosely it's had some issues... since the support for my
PVR250's disappeared I can't add another box without upgrading to
newer version so maybe it's time to look for a new Distro.

Compiling from SVN is really not that bad given the fact there are
some really got "how to's" on the wiki. It has most of the
dependancy's listed, etc. so I wouldn't call that hard. I'm still
learning, but learning from someone with the knowledge of what they
are doing. I now have some idea of what to expect and how things are
supposed interact. Guides 'good' going at it 'alone' not so good...
dependency problems... kernel problems... sources problems... you
guy's get the point.

Jarod brought a lot of people into the Linux world with his awesome
"Guide" when I read it I thought I could do that... and I did.
Fedora??? maybe it would have been easier on something else but at the
time it may not have been?

I don't anticipate another Distro being much easier to maintain but
I'm past frustrated and am simply looking for something a little more
user friendly for the green in me...

I realize this is straying a little from the intent of the forum, my
apologies, sorry for babbling...

AJM,