[mythtv-users] New house - any advise?

Billy Macdonald billymacdonald at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:16:02 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/16/07, Billy Macdonald <billymacdonald at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > I recently purchased a "production" built house, so I could have extra
> > phone & cable lines run to various locations, but that was about it.
> > They use cat5 for the phone lines so I was able to make a little patch
> > panel at the service entrance in the garage and put new jacks on the
> > walls.  It was also very expensive for each run so I did less than
> > what I should have done.
> >
> > My recommendation is to run at least two coax connections to each
> > location where there will be a TV.  This should allow flexibility in
> > hooking up cable & OTA, or sat & cable or whatever is desired.  And
> <snip>
>
> you can multiplex cable and OTA or cable and sat onto one line. I did
> this at my place in NH, I had cable and satelite come into the
> basement, combined them to one line and ran that signal upstairs.
> Worked great.
> http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=180-488
> http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=180-473
> http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=180-484

Yeah,  my current problem is that I can't multiplex cable and OTA to
the best of my knowledge.  I have cable, but they don't carry all the
locals in HD.  I had two coax runs to my living room, but upstairs
where my mythbackend is I only have 1 coax run so I can't easily get
OTA up there.  I've put a slave backend in the garage for OTA
recording for now.  Will have to figure out something better before
summer arrives and it's 110 outside.

All the diplexers I've seen say Cable and Sat OR OTA and Sat.  I
haven't found one claiming to diplex cable and OTA.  Haven't looked
too hard though.