[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:19:34 UTC 2007

> I've re-installed FC6 at least half a dozen times and am back to
> square one with more problems... "Failed" messages on boot, etc... My
> other box is a FC4 box that's been up for about a year now, well I use
> the term 'up' loosely it's had some issues... since the support for my
> PVR250's disappeared I can't add another box without upgrading to
> newer version so maybe it's time to look for a new Distro.

I think this is one big thing that seperates gentoo from a lot of
other distros. With gentoo you use the install cd once for one release
of gentoo and never use the cd ( or any other install cd) again
(unless you really muck things up).

> Compiling from SVN is really not that bad given the fact there are
> some really got "how to's" on the wiki. It has most of the
> dependancy's listed, etc. so I wouldn't call that hard. I'm still
> learning, but learning from someone with the knowledge of what they
> are doing. I now have some idea of what to expect and how things are
> supposed interact. Guides 'good' going at it 'alone' not so good...
> dependency problems... kernel problems... sources problems... you
> guy's get the point.

Although not officially supported with gentoo SVN compiles can be made
automatic. I use my own ebuilds and a sript to update mythtv about
once a month.

John