[mythtv-users] Need help with meaning of channel table fields

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 17:37:38 UTC 2007

On 1/16/07, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
> > This is tangential to the discussion, but I figure you probably know the
> > answer - when you go into Watch TV, how does Myth decide which tuner
> it's
> > going to use?  It doesn't seem to be the one with the highest
> priority.  Is
> > it always tuner #1?
>
> Well that's what I thought. I have been setting up my HD3000 card first,
>    because then LiveTv will be less likely to choke when called, as I am
> more likely to be recording on the PVR500. But the TV channel which
> comes up in the Preview, is actually the last tuned LiveTV channel, as
> far as I can tell.
>
> And I have NO IDEA about how the priority system works. I don't use it,
> since I do not use any recording rules but 'record *this* one'. I
> presume that priority rules allow myth to decide whether to record CSI
> versus CSI: Miami when they are both on at the same time, by selecting
> alternate showings, when you have told it to 'record this at any
> time'.....Myself, I just get 'conflicting'...
>
> It's in the docs, but IIRC, its a little confusing..

As far as tuner priority, that's used for determining which tuner to use.
Or at least that's one of the uses.  So if I set up a rule to tape CSI:Miami
whenever it's on and whatever channel, I'd prefer it tape it off one of the
HD channels and not the analog, if the same episode is playing both places.
So I give the firewire a higher priority than the analog tuner.  Works well
for me.

Back to the channel table fields, I have my QAM channels all setup and
working now, except for one.  For some reason, what should be my HD ABC
channel is actually displaying the ABC DT subchannel that runs news 24/7.
The original scan found 3 ABC DT subchannels.  I tried using phpmyadmin to
change the service ID for that channel to that of the other two subchannels,
but it had no effect.

A couple of possibilities occur to me.  First, mythbackend caches all the
channel tuning info when it starts up and because I didn't restart it my
changes to mythconverg had no effect.  Second, I'm changing the wrong thing
or otherwise still am confused about the cause and effect going on.

-Jerry