[mythtv-users] New house - any advise?

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Tue Jan 16 18:43:24 UTC 2007

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:12:39 -0500 (EST)
f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>     Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:22:01 -0600
>     From: matthew.garman at gmail.com
>
>     Hopefully, someday I'll build my house from scratch.  When I do, I'm
>     going to run a ton of Cat 6 (or whatever the latest generation of
>     network cable is).  But, I'm going to put it all in *conduit*.  The
>     intent is to make it easy if I ever need to pull more wire.
>
> Run empty conduit, too.  And make sure you leave pullstrings in all of them.
>
> When a conduit gets moderately full, it becomes next to impossible to
> pull new cable through it due to friction and entanglement in what's
> already there, even if there would have been plenty of space had that
> one extra cable been run with all the others.  So you should plan to
> either have rather oversize conduit, or do as much pulling as possible
> in the same pull, or run empty conduit so you can repeat the pull 10
> years later.  (Given a pair, you could do all the pulling at once in
> #1, leaving #2 empty, and then, 10 years later, do all the pulling in
> #2.  10 years after -that-, you can pull everything out of #1 (which
> by now has 20-year-obsolete wiring in it) and pull a lot of fresh
> stuff in #1 again.  That way, you're always pulling in empty conduit,
> but you never have to rip out lots of active stuff to repull.)
>
> (Granted, if all your runs are very short (a couple of rooms, with few
> or no bends), you may not have as much of an issue with mostly-full
> conduit, but it can surely happen.  You can always take some junk
> cables, run them through a section, and then try to pull one more
> cable through the mess and see how it goes; that'll tell you right
> now whether you have a problem, rather than surprising you a few years
> from now when all the walls are all closed up.)

If want to work on the multiple runs up the conduit at once, I suggest getting more boxes of cable at smaller lengths.  We used 1000' spindles and were able to pull two at a time.  If we got 500' spindles we could have done 4 at a time.

You could always estimate and pre-cut and pull, but that generates more waste.

Also, when you attach things for a pull, take duct or electrical tape and smooth the first part of the connection, so it tapers up - any "sharp" edges will make it harder to pull.