[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Jan 16 21:18:20 UTC 2007

Steve wrote:
> Ok - After some emails from mythtv-users I'm looking at getting the HD
> HomeRun.  It seems like a pretty good setup with not having to worry about
> drivers and such.
>
> Found some old mythtv-users emails about it and it sounds like it could
> put a good amount of traffic/strain on my existing 100mb ethernet network.
>  Does anyone have an opinion on would be better - a separate network from
> your home/work network or upgrading to a 1G network.
>
> Or even a third option combining both - 1G ethernet on it's own network.

Since the HDHR only has a 100MB NIC, it's not worth the effort to
upgrade to GB, just for that. Where it would help is if you have
separate FE/BE, and have the FE doing commflagging and/or transcoding of
HD material over the wire. With an existing 100MB network, any decent
switch should be able to handle the traffic. If you are that worried,
get a separate 100MB switch for the HDHR, but I would hold off until you
actually have it and are recording 2 HD streams at once to see what the
effect is.

Tom