[mythtv-users] Asus A8N-VM board + Alsa AC3 SPDIF

Venkat Bihari venkat_bihari at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 16 21:35:56 UTC 2007

Hi!

I've been trying to get 5.1 SPDIF working on my Asus A8N-VM CSM board with the optional SPDIF/optical module. I'm using FC6 (2.6.18 kernel) and MythtV-0.20 (yum rpm install). I can get only 2-channel sound through SPDIF and when I check the box marked to "allow AC3 to SPDIF passthru" in Mythfrotnend -> Setup -> General, all I hear is a low-frequency buzz through the front-speakers. When I uncheck that option, I get excellent 2-channel sound via the coaxial cable to my receiver, but never 5.1. In other words, AC3 passthru is not working for me. I've confirmed that it's not the receiver (I hooked the same input coax to a DVD player and get proper dolby-digital 5.1)

I've followed the steps in the Wiki: http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound but have not had success yet. I've tried with and without the .asoundrc posted on that Wiki. I've also Googled this motherboard quite a bit, but didn't find much useful information.

I know based on this thread: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/228931 that it is possible to get AC3 passthru to work using this board but can't seem to be able to get in touch with the OP. Has anyone else had luck with this board and ALSA SPDIF with AC3 passthru?

Another anomaly I've seen that I probably should mention. I download alsa-kmdl and alsa-driver(1.0.13) but on a reboot the udev message read "Disabling IRQ 217" and I couldn't get any sound. I uninstalled these two packages and am back to sqaure one - excellent 2-channel sound but AC3 passthru is a no-go.

Other than the 5.1ch sound issue, this board with the integrated Ge-Force 6150 is awesome for HD-playback.

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance,
Venkat