[mythtv-users] New house - any advice?

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Jan 16 22:21:37 UTC 2007

>I had no idea CAT5e would be able to carry USB, firewire and HDMI. With HDMI
>I wonder if it would be possible to have a single backend/frontend running
>in the utility room feeding my HDMI inputs on various TV's throughout the
>house, doing away with the remote frontends. I get brain cramps trying to
>think this stuff through.
>
>-Robin

That would be more cost and effort than it's worth.  Just doing a
quick google for a DVI extender it was close to $400 for the hardware
(a 150ft version which uses 2 Cat5 cables to do the job).  VGA with
audio was $200-$330.  Then you've still got to sort out how to
control the frontend, and if you want to run multiple independent
frontends it becomes even tougher (dual or triple head X
configurations - and having enough grunt in one machine to run
multiple frontends?)

Be easier to just setup a individual frontends where you need them.
Probably cheaper, and way more flexible as well.

  - Wade