[mythtv-users] New house - any advice?

robin robin at robinandmariette.com
Wed Jan 17 03:10:16 UTC 2007

Thanks for all the comments. You are all a great help!

Is this possible: Have a frontend box with two or more sound cards, with
each sound card hooked to a multi-source/multi-zone amp, so that you could,
say, watch livetv using one audio channel and use mythmusic to play a cd on
another audio channel sent to another room? This would require multiple
instances of myth started on the box, each using a different sound card.

I have accidentally started the frontend multiple times on the same box, and
it didn't seem to have any trouble, but I can't think of a way of pointing
one instance to one sound card and another instance to another sound card.
It seems to me they'd all share one config file/database so they would both
try to use the same sound card.

I want to reduce the number of frontends required but also be able to feed
the audio out of mythmusic/mythfm around the house. This is the only way I
could think of doing it.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating things and should just install frontends wherever
I have speakers installed, but I think a single multi-zone amp would be
cheaper than installing a computer/monitor/amp in each room.

-Robin