[mythtv-users] Advice for a frontend build using EPIA hardware

Will Kennerly theoreticalchemistry at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 18:47:53 UTC 2007

I've read many posts and pages about setting up a
frontend with EPIA hardware.  However the advice is
all over the map, so I'm hoping the readers here can
advise appropriately.  ( I already have a working
backend, which will be connected by wired ethernet. )

I want a low-power MythTV frontend that is quiet
(silence is not needed), that smoothly handles video
playback (MPEG2 from ripped DVDs and the PVR350 on the
backend, and transcoded MPEG4),  the menu interface,
emulated  nintendo games, mp3s, and live TV.  It will
need svideo out, as well as digital and analog audio.
I'd like to keep the budget small, too -- around $400
-- for the whole frontend.  I will NOT be doing
high-def.

So I'm considering the EPIA M10000, which is popular
around here, but I've read conflicting reports about
how well it works.   Some say the SP13000 is
necessary for good performance, though this isn't
clear to me yet.  Any advice?

I'm planning on putting this board in a Morex 3688
case, with a small laptop harddrive, 512 MB RAM, and
whatever remote control hardware will work.

Thanks very much!  Any advice on other aspects of this
build I may have overlooked is much appreciated.
-Will.