[mythtv-users] Seeking advice - graphics card recommendations

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 23:22:07 UTC 2007

On 17/01/07, Arthur Green <arthur at phraction.org> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm a MythTV newbie, working on a combined front- and back-end system
> which will sit beside or under the TV in the living room. I want to
> connect the MythTV system to my current TV, which has either SCART or
> co-axial input. Does anyone have a recommendation for a graphics card
> which has a co-axial TV-out port? Ideally it would also have DVI output
> for when I upgrade the TV.

I'd get a S-Video/composite video and stereo audio to SCART cable
(easy to find in the UK) which means you can route all video and audio
output (if you want to) into the TV via a single connection. You can
then also attach a regular monitor to the video card.

I'm using a homebuilt VGA -> RGB SCART adapter which works very well
with my Sony TV - but I've used regular S-Video -> SCART cables in the
past with no problems.The benefit to me of using my VGA->SCART cable
is great picture quality and not having to configure TV-out on my ATI
video card. The downside is that because the TV requires a compatible
video signal for display using this method, I don't get any readable
output on the TV until X has started (and using this technique is
really only possible using an older ATI Radeon card that supports
composite sync), and also there is the fact you may tinker for a while
trying to get an optimal modeline.

A benefit of using TV-Out is that normally it 'just works' and can be
much quicker to get up and running. What video card are you using?

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/