[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 12:19:20 UTC 2007

> Actually Gentoo is easy, once you get used to it. I use Gentoo on my
> "main" Linux machine and on an NSLU2. My Myth machine has a MythDora
> installation. I NFS mount the /video partition from the Myth box onto
> the Gentoo machine for editing etc.
I would not entirely agree with the above.  I Started with an early
version of Ubuntu but went to Gentoo and at the time it was the only
thing I could get working and keep up to date.  I did have a spell
using KmoppixMyth but if you do ap apt-get update/upgrade everything
gets screwed up which is not acceptable.

Gentooo was OK although it douse take ages to install update as you
compile everything from source.  I did find that if I did a bit
upgrade I had to spend ages trawling through the /etc diffs and sort
stuff out.  Eventually I got fed up with all the time and hassle.  By
this time Ubuntu had got to a stage when lots of DVB stuff was
supported so I switched back to it and have been there ever since.

I would say though that the Ubuntu Myth packages are a bit flaky and
you really need to compile your own or sue someone else's (ask on this
list).  I don't think they have a package manager who actually runs
MythTV.  This is based on a investigation and talking to people, not a
hunch.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Brussels, Belgium & Bristol, UK
If you have a problem emailing me use