[mythtv-users] Unicode characters showing up as question marks [SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Jan 18 13:14:27 UTC 2007

MythTV,

Got it solved. To add new fonts for the OSD settings, one simply puts
the desired fonts into:
/usr/share/mythtv

Then go into mythfrontend->settings->TV set up->playback and a couple of
screens in there's a drop down menu for the "osd font".

I tried Microsoft's "Arial Unicode", but that didn't seem to fly. But
then, when looking around in my Linux fonts directory, I had a directory
called:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/unicode_japanese

So I copied all the fonts from that directory, about 12 of them, to the
/usr/share/mythtv directory. I think symlinks would be okay too, but I
just copied them for now.

Then I went with a font called "kochi-gothic-subst.ttf" and made sure it
was selected in the settings.

Success! Now my on screen display shows the Japanese text for all the shows!

Hope that information can also help others.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft