[mythtv-users] mythfrontend standalone wont start

Bill Bill at explosivo.com
Thu Jan 18 20:31:18 UTC 2007

I've compiled mythtv for a frontend on a box very similar to my backend.  I cannot however get it to start anything, and the lack of error messages is disturbing... it just sorta stops.

The program starts, cannot connect to a DB, so it shows a ton of failed DB connections, which I guess is normal, as it should pop up the database configuration screen when it cant.  If I try to run mythtv-setup for fun, it does the same thing... Runs, then kapow.  In the end, it does this:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
2007-01-18 15:25:17.366 DB Error (KickDatabase):
Query was:
SELECT NULL;
No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
2007-01-18 15:25:17.422 Database not open while trying to load setting: Language
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)
QFont::setPointSize: Point size <= 0 (0)

It compiles fine, and just hangs there.  I am thinking it has something to do with the video not being able to grab the screen.  I am not sure where to look next.  X.org seems to have no errors in the log, DRI is enabled and is loading okay.  Do I need V4L in a frontend without an encoder?

Thanks!

Bill