[mythtv-users] Is there an analog/HD tuner out there?

Fred Squires fsquires at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 21:05:27 UTC 2007

On 1/18/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/01/07, Steve <mythtv at birniefamily.net> wrote:
> > I was pretty excited about the HD HomeRun when I first started looking
> > into tuners.  I think it's a great product, but the one thing I didn't
> > realize until after I bought one was that it only does HD channels, not
> > analog.
> >
> > Since my plan was to keep my cable service and use MythTV as a possible
> > replacement for my DVR, that leaves 90% or more of the channels
> unavailable.
> >
> > Are there tuners that handle both HD and analog?
>
> THE pcHDTV HD-5500 (and the earlier HD-3000 version also I think) card
> does - it has an HDTV-capable tuner and also S-Video and audio inputs
> for analogue capture. pcHDVT is also a very Linux-friendly company.

Just to point out, pcHDTV analog tuners are software tuners, meaning that
your cpu has to do all the encoding.  Also, I've heard the quality isn't as
good on these as on the hardware encoders such as the Hauppauge PVR-150, and
it's always good to have a second tuner.

--
It was supposed to be so Easy.