[mythtv-users] Internal Player w/ HD

Jake Palmer jakep_82 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 23:23:01 UTC 2007

>From: "Michael Wisniewski" <wiz561 at gmail.com>
>
>Hi!
>
>    I'm using mythtv .20 on ubuntu.  My goal is to get it to play HD videos
>in, well, hi-def, while everything else is SD.  The reason for this is
>because my tv is 4:3 and it bugs me when I use the 16:9 resolution on it.
>
>    So, my question...  Is it possible to have the internal player use a
>4:3
>ratio (640x480) for everything except movies in the video manager?  Then,
>when you play a video in the video manager section, send a switch to the
>internal player to force 1280x1024?
>
>    I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that you can do this with
>mplayer...but I really like the internal player's features, such as volume
>control, bookmarking, and no need to remap all the keys.
>

>Thanks!

I'm confused.  Why not scale everything to 1280x1024?  The internal player
will scale whatever video you play to whatever your standard output
resolution is.  I have a 720p modeline in xorg.conf and every video I play
(480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i) is scaled to that resolution automatically by the
internal player.

Also, if you're TV is 4:3, then it's not HD and regular TV's won't handle a
1280x1024 signal.  I believe s-video will handle 800x600, but regular TV's
can't actually display that high a resolution.

Jake