[mythtv-users] lirc/mythfrontend quit working

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Fri Jan 19 01:29:52 UTC 2007

I upgraded from ATrpms version to SVN trunk (I needed the HDHomerun
fixes). On my master backend/frontend machine, all is well. But when the
protocol version changed, now I have to compile from source on my small
lightweight frontend in the living room. When I do this, the remote no
longer works.

I won't be so naive as to say "everything is the same on both machines",
because obviously it isn't, but I cannot figure out what is different
that would matter. The machines certainly are not identical hardware.
One is a big server with an Nvidia 5500 card and a Pentium 4 processoer
that runs the backend and also can render HD. The frontend is a little
ASUS Pundit-R with a Celeron processor, using the onboard video chip to
display only SD.

But here's the weird part. They both have the same version of FC5 (last
update done on the same day). They have byte-for-byte identical versions
of mythfrontend,
~{mythtv,root}/.mythtv/lircrc, /etc/lircd.conf, /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.2.0 (and both have symlinks from /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so and /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0 pointing to /usr/lib/liblirc_client.so.0.2.0). Both use Streamzap remotes with USB IR receivers. On both machines, the remotes work in irw. Both machines run mythfrontend setuid root.

But on the little frontend, the remote does not work in mythfrontend,
even though it does work in irw. On the big backend, the remote works
fine in both mythfrontend and irw. The rest of the functionality of
mythfrontend on the little box is fine if I plug in a USB keyboard and
stand in front of the TV. I suppose I could use a USB extension cable
but that's really ugly and low on the WAF scale.

Any ideas where I could look to debug this? The living room frontend is
pretty much a paperweight right now because it doesn't have a permanent
keyboard, so without the remote, it's useless.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

--Greg