[mythtv-users] MythTV recording in Australia, transferring to Germany

Andrew Hutchinson ahutchinson.mythtv at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 19 18:20:26 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm an Australian currently living in Germany.  In April I'm going back to
Australia for a quick holiday, and while I'm there I'm thinking about
setting up a MythTV box at my parents place.  The purpose of this is so that
I can get some Australian TV over here!

Basically, what I want to do is setup MythTV so I can log into this box from
Germany using the web interface and then select what I want to record.  I
will then have a cron running that checks when these recordings are finished
and then converts them to Xvid/Divx and copies them to some directory.  My
linux box here in Germany can then check this directory and download the
files when there are some there to get.

Does this idea seem like the best solution for what I want to do?  My
parents only have 256k upload (which is the max in their area),  and its a
long way to Germany too, so at most I think I could expect to get
20kbytes/s.  Therefore I don't think that live streaming would really be an
option.  I don't mind waiting either to get them in better quality, because
of the time difference it doesn't make much difference.  Prime time in
Australia is in the middle of the day over here anyway, so I'd be at work at
this time.  I figure with this system I could almost get it to work so that
I could watch a show that is on at 8:00pm in Australia at 8:00pm over here
(10 hours difference).

If anyone has a better suggestion I would really like to hear about it!

Further to that, I'm not too sure how MythTV works in Australia.  Over here,
we can pull the TV guide from the Satellite, but in Australia I'll be using
a terrestrial card I assume (?).  Does it work the same way?  Can anyone
suggest a nice compatible card that I can buy once I get to Oz?

I guess otherwise it should be straight forward.  I don't have to worry
about video card compatibility or IR remotes as these are not necessary.
Hopefully this will make the setup a hell of a lot easier!

Anyway, as I say, any tips would be great.  If anyone has done something
similar before, I'd definitely like some more info.

Thanks all!