[mythtv-users] ATSC Guide via EIT?

dbg55t at maine.rr.com dbg55t at maine.rr.com
Sat Jan 20 19:01:53 UTC 2007

Hi,

     I have recently built a MythTV box with version 0.20 on Fedora
Core 6 following the HOWTO by Jarod Wilson. I am using a pcHDTV
HD-5500 tuner card with the dvb drivers and my plan is to configure it
for ATSC channels only, (no Analog, cable, etc.). The basic set-up
works well. I can tune all of the expected channels in my reception
area, record, playback, etc.

     Since I am only using digital channels, I was hoping to use EIT
scanning for the program guide rather than keeping the machine
connected to the internet. I understand that the EIT scanning code is
undergoing changes right now, but I was hoping to get it to work with
the current version. So far, I have been unsuccessful. Through
searching the lists and forums I have found three basic suggestions
for EIT use:

    1) Make sure you select EIT scanning in the mythtvsetup Video
       source setup. I have tried both "Transmitted Guide Only" and
       selected "Perform EIT Scan" under North America (Data direct).

    2) Make sure that you perform the channel scan from within
       mythtvsetup rather than importing a channel configuration
       file. I have done all my channel configuration from within the
       setup program and each time I scan, it finds all of the channels
       that I expect.

    3) Make sure that "Use on air guide" is selected for each channel
       in the channel editor. After each rescan while trying to debug
       this, I have gone into each channel and set this flag.

     I have looked at the useonairguide flag in the database and it is
set to 1 for each channel. The useeit flag is also set to 1. With all
of these settings my guide still contains nothing but "Unknown"
entries. If I stop the frontend and watch the backend output with the
"-v eit,siparser" flags set, I can see the eit parser starting after
about a minute or so.

     For each channel, I eventually get messages similar to this:

EITScanner: Now looking for EIT data on multiplex of channel 6_1
EITCache: Pruning all entries that ended before UTC 2007-01-19T13:11:57
EITCache: Deleting old cache entries from the database
ATSC chan 6-1 is hidden in guide
ATSC chan 6-2 is hidden in guide
DVBChan(0) Warning: Symbol Rate setting (0) is out of range
(min/max:5056941/10762000)
EITScanner: Now looking for EIT data on multiplex of channel 8_1
EITCache: Pruning all entries that ended before UTC 2007-01-19T13:17:11
EITCache: Deleting old cache entries from the database
ATSC chan 8-1 is hidden in guide

     I assume the "hidden in guide" message is indicating a problem,
but I'm not sure what the problem is. Also, I don't know if the
warning about the symbol rate setting is a serious issue or not.

     Do people have the EIT scanning working successfully for ATSC?
Have I missed any configuration steps to get this to work?  I would
appreciate any pointers that you might have.

Thanks and Regards,

- David