[mythtv-users] So, how does the SlingBox Pro HD do it?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Jan 20 20:26:00 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 20:01 -0600, Robert Kulagowski wrote:
> http://us.slingmedia.com/page/hdconnect.html says:
> "The HD Connect Cable lets you watch your home television’s high
> definition programming by connecting your HDTV source to the Slingbox
> PRO. The HD Connect Cable has component video and stereo audio inputs
> and pass-through outputs, and is compatible with HDTV video services of
> up to 1080i resolution."
>
> The Slingbox Pro is $199; the HD Connect cable is another $50.  So,
> internally the Slingbox is taking a 1080i component input and converting
> it into something that can be broadcast over the Internet.  In this
> message board we've discussed how it costs kilobux to take uncompressed
> HDTV and convert it into MPEG-2; even if Sling isn't converting to
> MPEG-2, they're still doing _something_ at < $250.
>
> Anyone know the internals of what's going on?

According to this:
 http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/28/the-not-so-hd-sligbox-pro/

It is only sampling a small portion of the signal
and producing a 640x480 stream with a 16x9 aspect
ratio. This is only slightly better than the
letterboxed 720x480 you would get from your PVR-150
connected to the SD output of your cable box...

-- Daniel