[mythtv-users] WAF remote... Apple Remote?

Brad Dolman mythtv at braddolman.com
Sun Jan 21 04:01:33 UTC 2007

> On 20 Jan 2007, at 10:00, David Whyte wrote:
>
> > On 1/20/07, Michael Lynch <lynchmv[at]gmail.com> wrote:
> >> OK, I couldn't resist this:
> >>
> >> http://www.woot.com/
> >>
> >> How much simpler could a remote get, any wife would love one.
> >
> > True, whilst it is simply, I don't think it is overly practicle.
> What
> > do you have to do to bring up the menu? Tap play, pause and stop?
> > And to bring up the guide you tap stop, pause, play?
>
> I mentioned the Apple Remote in a previous post, but only as an aside
> and I didn't hear from anyone using one with a MythTV system. It is
> twice the price, but has 50% more buttons, 6 in all. Might these
> additional buttons be sufficient for bringing up the menus & guide?

Funny enough, I just spent a bunch of time tweaking the Apple Remote
for use with MythFrontend on my MacBook Pro. I wasn't too crazy about
the default configuration of the buttons, so I used Remote Buddy
(http://tinyurl.com/22susm) to create my own behaviour for
MythFrontend. Its just my first attempt, but it seems pretty good to
me so far. Its not so much that the Apple Remote is limiting, its
mostly that the MythTV UI has been built around the assumption of a
keyboard or button-laden remote. For example, I don't understand why
pressing "M" brings up one menu and pressing "I" brings up another...
I would think they could be combined into one menu. That said,
changes to the UI have made it much easier to cursor around lately...
in fact, on my "full" remote (on my linux box), I'd say that I only
use about 9 buttons for 98% of its usage. So I set the Apple Remote
to provide basic arrow key support and a few "special" commands if
you hold the button down. Here's a graphic with my current
configuration:
http://tinyurl.com/37ugpv

If anyone is interested, you can download the behaviour here:
http://tinyurl.com/2r5p8d

Unzip it and put the resulting file in ~/Library/Application Support/
Remote Buddy/Behaviours

Anyone with feedback, drop me a note at inquiry {at} braddolman /dot/
com

Thanks.