[mythtv-users] xbox frontends affected by new DST rules

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 05:52:57 UTC 2007

Hi everyone,

    I know a few of you out there still run myth on your xbox as a
frontend.  I recently tested to see if it was affected by the new
changes to Daylight Saving Time (DST) in the US starting March 11.
DST starts 3 weeks sooner and ends one week later starting this year.
Here's another thread that already goes into some of those details:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/246809#246809

Anyway, I ran a quick test on my xebian xbox install and realized that
it did not have the update timezone information for the new DST rules.
 You can run this test by entering the following at the console:

date --date="Mar 10 15:00:00 UTC 2007"
This should return something like this - with "ST":
Sat Mar 10 09:00:00 CST 2007

Then run:
date --date="Mar 11 15:00:00 UTC 2007"
It should return something like this - with "DT":
Sun Mar 11 10:00:00 CDT 2007

If that last command returns something with ST and you are in an area
in the US that observes DST, then you need to update you system.

xebian is based off of debian sarge, and I was able to update the
update timezone information by running the following:

apt-get update
apt-get install libc6

libc6 contains the timezone information for many of the older version
of debian.  To the best of my knowledge, current version of debian and
ubuntu use tzdata, if my understanding is correct.  Eitherway, after
installing libc6, my timezone information is now correct and I'll be
ready for the 2007 DST changes.

Thanks!
Matt