[mythtv-users] Power supply for ATX

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Sun Jan 21 12:51:01 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I used to know my stuff with hardware, but I'm a long way out of date now.
The old machine that I'm wanting to set up as a Myth box has an Abit
KT7-Raid motherboard.
It's a big noisy thing, so I want to change the power supply on it for a
quieter one.
Can you get quiet power supply's for old ATX motherboards and cases in
the UK?
I've just looked at the sites that I used to buy stuff from, but I can
only see ATX2 and high wattage power supply's. I think the one that's in
there is 300W and I don't really want to go any higher if I don't have
to as I don't want it to drink electricity.
Is an ATX2 supply compatable with ATX (if I know computer manufacturers,
I'm guessing not!).
Can I buy a quiet supply from anywhere, or am I going to have to upgrade
stuff?

If anyone knows much about this stuff, I'm also interested to know if I
can upgrade the 1.2GHz processor that's in the thing, or are is the
Socket A chipset just too old?

Here's a couple of info pages on the motherboard if it helps.
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/01q1/abitkt7r/abitkt7r-1.html
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=91

Thanks for any help
Damian